The last remnant of the Griffith Estate, the old Los Feliz Rancho was sold to a syndicate headed by William H. Mead, H.H. Cotton, Laack & Williams, realty brokers and the Edwards and Wildey Company in 1926. The new subdivision was called the Los Feliz Hills on "account of the diversified contour of the ground, a wonderful view of the entire surrounding country…and a drive of less than fifteen minutes to the center of town. The property immediately joins Griffith Park, giving to home dwellers here all the advantages of a country club, including golf course, bridle trails, swimming pool and tennis courts" (Los Angeles Times, January 3, 1926). An early sales brochure offers the following advice, "Engineering skill of the highest order is being employed in laying out roads and driveways with the idea of retaining all the natural beauty of the property. Fifty-year general and architectural restrictions adequately protect buyers and provide for the construction of modest homes as well as mansions and villas. Artistic beauty and harmony with the environment are the governing factors in the building restrictions…Plans must be passed on by an Architectural Committee."
The Sherwood House designed for Lucile Sherwood by architect Charles M. Hutchison was one of the very first homes on Amesbury Road (the other was the Spanish Colonial Revival style "La Casa Contenta" built in the same year and located across the street at 3410 Amesbury Road). Together, the two houses represent a model for what would become the prevalent styles of the period for the subdivision. The Sherwood House is located at 3435 Amesbury Road.
Declared a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument (No. 1026) in 2013.
Tagged: , Charles M. Hutchinson , Los Feliz Hills , William Mead , Edwards & Wildey , Laack & Williams , archiref , Michael Locke , Michael Locke, Photographer , Michael Locke, Realtor , Treasures of Los Angeles Architecture , Los Angeles Architecture , Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument , Los Feliz Improvement Association , Los Feliz Beautiful , Los Feliz , LFIA , Sherwood House