Tag Archive: Home Renovation
To have a do-it-yourself (DIY) mentality can be very rewarding. Apart from saving you the few bucks you would have given to a professional, you will develop yourself technically in areas outside your career job. Some of the issues you usually experience at home when using some of your bathroom and kitchen fixtures are easy to repair if you have the right tools. There are some basic tools you must have in your tool kits for unexpected home repairs and some of them are:
1. Pipe Wrench: This is an adjustable tool used to tighten or loosen the threaded end of pipes and fittings with round surface. This is also called plumber’s wrench and it comes in various sizes and can be used for various purposes. The serrated teeth help the wrench to grip the surface as you turn but when not used properly, can damage a fixture’s finish. An adjustable spanner can be used in place of this tool.
2. Plunger: This is an indispensable tool to have at home as it is used to dislodge clogged drains, tubs, toilets, showers, and floor drains. When using it on a blocked sink, press it hard against the drain opening (for 5 seconds) and pull with force, do this continuously until the drain clears.
3. Measuring Tape: This tool is commonly called tape measure used by technicians to get a quick and exact measurement of an object’s length. It comes in different designs like cloth, steel, fiber glass, etc and sizes which can either be in meters or feet.
4. Hacksaw: This is a versatile tool that has two parts which are the frame and blade and both must be tightened together to get a complete hacksaw. It has an adjustable frame that can be loosened to fit blades of different sizes. They are used for making precision cuts through metals, plastics, screws and bolts.
5. Hand Gloves: You should consider having this on before you start any work because it provides a protective cover to your hands from injuries. It has different openings for each finger and thumb and comes in different colors, sizes and designs.
6. Hand Auger: Most times referred to as plumbers snake is a slender, flexible wire used to remove clogs from showers, sinks, toilets, tubs and drains lines. For home use, a 15ft to 20ft auger is good; it is your best friend when plunger fails.
7. Tongue-and-Grove Pliers: Commonly known by its original name, Channel lock is a tool used for holding, twisting, loosening and tightening bolts and nuts, screws and other materials. It has serrated jaws with rubber clothed handle for safe handling.
8. WD 40: This is the brand name of a water-displacing and oil penetrating spray that comes in a can with a smart straw sprayer. This lubricant is a multi-purpose product that works well in the displacement of water from a surface leaving a viscous oil that ensures smoothness. It can also be used … Read More
The verdict is still out there for small bathrooms. You can love them or hate them, but one thing is for sure, if you have no plans of moving to a new house, you have to live with them. Some people think small bathrooms are all right, after all, you don’t spend a lot of your time there. For others however, a mini bathroom is just not enough. They want a bigger bathroom for myriads of reasons, from bragging rights to comfort when using the bathroom.
Small Can Be Comfortable
A small bathroom does not have to feel claustrophobic, it does not have to feel crammed, it does not have to be uncomfortable. In fact, many small bathrooms are cozy and nice to be in anytime-if you know what to do with it.
Simple Changes You Can Do
Sometimes, even average size bathrooms size can look cramped while small bathrooms can look spacious-it all depends on how you design the bathroom interior. There are ways that you can make your small bathroom look bigger with some cosmetic changes.
· Bring in the light. Dark rooms look smaller compared to well-lighted ones. So open your window if possible or add ambient lighting.
· Change the color of the walls. Some dark colors make the bathroom small. It is best to use bright colors like white in your bathroom.
· Go for a minimalist look. It is just common sense not to put a lot of things in a small space if you don’t want it to look tight and uncomfortable.
Renovating the Bathroom
If you want to go beyond simple cosmetic changes, then you can always call a renovation company to improve your bathroom. Here are some renovation ideas you can use.
· Renovate to widen your bathroom. You can use part of the adjacent room to add as a new space for your bathroom.
· Modernize plumbing to save space. Most modern plumbing systems are smaller and more effective than old ones. You can save space by modernizing your plumbing system.
· Add a window to let more of the outside in to your bathroom. Being able to see outside makes the bathroom less tight and cramped.
Bathrooms are an essential part of every home. It is the place where we do necessary and delicate human routines, which is why they need to be comfortable. Even small bathrooms can be comfortable; all it needs is a little common sense, a dash of creativity and if push comes to shoves, some money for renovation.… Read More
Yeppers! It was like one of the oldest Lowes stores in Kannapolis, similar to the one on Jake Alexander Boulevard in Salisbury. The time for moving came in the 2000s when Lowes moved to a new store on Dale Earnhardt Boulevard, west of the Exit 60 interchange with I-85 in Kannapolis. When the older store was vacated, a mattress store had a brief time in the old building before deciding to close up shop altogether. And the old Lowes remain vacant, after 2 stores either moved and closed. Improving Home Improvement in this vacant old building? No! Destroyed Home Improvement, in the old Lowes, in the K-Town.
Tagged: , Lowe’s , Lowes Home Improvement , former , lowes hardware , improving home improvement , Dale Earnhardt Boulevard , Kannapolis , North Carolina … Read More
“We believed from the start that if we brought the customer quality merchandise at the right price and offered excellent service, we could change retailing in the United States. Today, we are the model of what retailing should be.”
Starting The Business
In the late 1970s, Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank were both working at a home centre chain in Southern California called Handy Dan when Siegfried S. Sigoloff, known for disposing of senior management in the companies he purchased, bought the struggling Daylin Inc., Handy Dan’s parent company. Since Handy Dan was profitable, Marcus and Blank were certain their jobs were secure. But they were wrong. False charges were brought against the two that alleged they had allowed a subordinate to open an account and use funds to fight against a union at Handy Dan stores in San Jose.
Before they were fired, however, Marcus and Blank had been working to find profitable ways of discounting at one of their Handy Dan locations. They noted that by marking items down, volume rose and costs, as a percentage of sales, dropped. At the time when they lost their jobs they had been planning to implement their discovery at other outlets, but now they were free to begin building a nationwide home-centre chain of their own. They planned to develop a store where product selection was great and prices were kept as low as possible, and where trained, knowledgeable, and helpful customer service representatives provided the best service available.
The venture began in suburban Atlanta with money from a New York investment firm. They stocked the shelves of their first two stores with 18,000 different products, everything from paint supplies to specialized tools for repairs, cut prices as far as they could, and hired and trained staff themselves. On opening day, they gave their kids a stack of $1 bills to hand out to customers to say thank you for shopping at the store, but by the end of the day, there was still money left and the kids were out in the parking lot using the money to try to convince people to go in and have a look.
Both were dejected and despondent. Marcus remembers that “[his] wife wouldn’t let [him] shave for days. She didn’t want [him] to have a razor in [his] hands.”
Building an Empire
A few days after the grand opening, a customer returned with a token of her gratitude – a bag of okra for Marcus – for the positive experience of shopping at The Home Depot. Though he did not like the okra, it was a turning point, and word of mouth began to spread.
Money was still tight (employees stacked empty cardboard boxes and paint cans on top shelves so that the stores appeared more packed with goods than they actually were), but since the first two stores were doing well, Blank and Marcus decided to open two more, this time in the Miami area. Two more Miami stores followed … Read More
With over 10 years experience in the construction industry, Just Real Construction is the Brooklyn general contractor to call for your next renovation or construction project.Operating from 1349 East 38th street, Brooklyn NY 11234, Just Real Construction specializes in both residential and commercial construction. We offer quality painting, kitchen and bathroom remodeling, basement refinishing, room additions, installation of interior and exterior doors – including French doors – and full historical renovations. Just Real Construction provides plumbing services, flooring installation, including all types of hardwood, laminate, tile and carpeting. We can fix your windows – whether it is replacement windows for broken or damaged windows or complete new window installation with energy-efficient dual-paned windows. The bottom line is there is no job too large or too small for Just Real Construction – from installing hardwood, laminate, tile or carpeting flooring in one room or the entire house; creating your drinkitchen or bathroom; or a Brooklyn brownstone renovation – we will help you every step of the way to design your ultimate dream home.
Our design team works with customers to choose flooring, appliances, floor layout, texturing, fixtures and cabinetry. From the design phase straight through to completion, Just Real Construction offers quality workmanship and attention to detail, ensuring a completed project that exceeds the dreams and expectations of the customer. For a full list of services, please visit www.brooklyn-contractors.net.For quality construction in Brooklyn, NY and the surrounding areas- call Just Real Construction. You’ll have complete peace of mind when Just Real construction is on the job – we’re fully licensed, bonded and insured, and we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all workmanship in addition to the manufacturer’s warranty on all building materials.Call 646-319-3470 today for a free estimate. Just Real Construction serves New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island) and the surrounding areas for all your general contracting and construction needs.
Tagged: , kitchen remodeling , hardwood flooring , painting , interior decoration , interior design , general contractor , Electrician , Window Installation , Exterior door installation , kitchen renovation , kitchen cabinets , tile installation , hardwood floors , home renovation , basement remodeling , basement finishing , wood floor repair , basement refinishing , molding , lighting installation , painting house , home interior painting , plastering , kitchen countertops , Brooklyn , NY , NYC. … Read More